Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:19:07 -0800
From: "Monty Tam" <metam01@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] PCT resupply stops/questions - Hikertown
To: "pct list" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

My mother always said if I don't have anything nice to say about someone,
don't say it.  I don't always listen to my mother.  Sorry Mom.

This ought to stir up the list a little more.

I arrived at Hikertown.
Within thirty seconds I felt crappy to be in Richard's presence. A
spiritual nightmare. Within five minutes I was listening to sexual
references he was making about a Trail Angel everyone meets and love a
couple days before getting there.  My leg was taped up with a stress
fracture and I could hardly walk.  He seemed upset that I couldn't work and
let me know.   He went to the store.  I retaped my leg and hiked on to the
next water source.  The relief of being out of there made the pain worth it.

I've heard stories from a couple hikers about nice things he's done, some
very nice.  Wasn't John Wayne Gacey nice to those 29 boys to lure them in.

There's a store a mile up the road.  The new owner is very hiker friendly.
He may also accept packages.  If there's no water at the school, I may walk
all the way up there just to get water.

Yogi, thanks for opening the door a little.  I think your comment, like
your book,  is of enormous service to the hikers.