[pct-l] Flying from Vancouver to So. Cal

> You don't need one for Mexico either.  I walked across
> border into Palomas
> and back into the US and I didn't have to show anything
> EITHER way.

Some Mexican states bordering the US require a passport for
travel through the interior, generally 60 miles or more
beyond the Mex/US border. This includes Sonora, thus
affecting CDT hikers. I believe Baja has a more leniant
policy.

By the way, Sly, the Palomas border crossing at the CDTS
southern terminus is now a hotbed of illegal immigrant
activity. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if border agents
have ratcheted up their security measures in recent times.
As it stood in 2003, though, security was indeed a joke. I
voluntarily walked into the US customs building on my way
back across, where I "presented" myself to a group of
largely disinterested agents. Even though they expressed
little familiarity with the CDT or its hikers, and I was
wearing a backpack and carrying ski poles, I was allowed to
proceed with virtually no questioning, and no inspection
procedures. Could've had a small Mexican child in that pack
for all they knew or cared.

- bf

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net