[pct-l] ski poles as trekking poles

(sorry Tom, I forgot to change the address)

    I hiked 2.5 seasons w/ thrift store ski poles.  I did not like the
grips, so I removed them, and replaced them with some soft bicycle grips
I found at Target.  If I recall correctly, I built up the shaft under
the bike grips with a couple of wraps of tape.  I usually used them
without any other tip, particularly on compacted dirt trails, but
eventually converted to using rubber tips.  The Komperdell replacement
tips fit just fine, and I've never lost one.  I also used the ski poles
as an "A" frame support for the front of my homemade tent. I'd have to
remove the tips to fit it the poles to the tent, but the on-again,
off-again use of the tips never seemed to weaken them.

Now I am using a cheap pair of telescopic "official trekking" poles. But
I've had to doctor the grips to simulate the old ski poles.  My hands
don't like to conform to the engineered hand grip, I find it too
restraining.  I like to move my hands about on the grip, from the top
(remember choosing "ups" with a ball bat?) of the grip to the actual
shaft of the pole.  So with a little razor blade work, and some
sandpaper, I made the grips fit my style.