[pct-l] ski poles as trekking poles?

Many folks don't like hiking poles. Once I forced myself to start using them on downhills
I've never stopped using them since, everywhere.

Using dollar ski poles is a GREAT way to experiment with them, to see if it's something
you might like to use.

Under no circumstances would I use them on a long distance trail, simply because of
the tips. Your poles will *need* carbide tips. If you use your poles extensively you'll
also find the flex nature of most tips will save you on occasion from breaking them.
Without actually trying ski poles, I can't imagine the tips would last long at all.

The only times I would use the straps was during water crossings for fear of losing a
pole. Given the number of times I've almost tripped over my own poles, it's easier to
just let them drop, than having them bound to your body ensuring you'd trip on them.

But that's just me. :)

Scott

Home       : http://DelNorteResort.Com
PCTSnow : http://DelNorteResort.com/cgi-bin/postHoler