[pct-l] ski poles as trekking poles?

Hi Josh,

For a buck, try out the thrift store poles.  As Monty has suggested, the
tips aren't as good for hiking as hiking pole tips, but if you've never used
poles, they could be good to practice with.

Make sure the poles have straps and find someone who knows how to use them
properly.  Have them show you.  The proper use of straps can make a huge
difference in how tired your hands get.  Using the straps means you do not
have to grip your poles tightly in order to put weight on them.  The straps
aren't there just to prevent you from losing the poles if you let go.

Also, make sure the poles are the right length.  A couple of advantages of
adjustable poles is that you can shorten them for going up hills and
lengthen them for going down hills.  Most long-distance hikers, I suspect,
just find a happy medium and don't bother with constant adjustments.  A good
length to start with would be just long enough so that when grippiong the
poles, if your upper arms are hanging at your sides, your forearms should be
bent at a 90 degree angle so that they're parallel to the ground.

One more advantage to adjustable poles, they may give you more flexibility
with shelter options as many lightweight tents/tarps/etc now use hiking
poles to support the structure.  They also collapse and are much more
packable than ski poles.

Check out my web site for more on poles:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/poles.html

and another link to Pete's Poles page:

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Pete's page has a lot of great information including pictures on how to use
the straps.

It takes a bit of work to get used to using poles.  They don't weigh much
but your arms really aren't used to carrying the extra weight.  If you find
them useful after a while, you can then decide whether they are good enough
or if you might want to get true hiking poles.  You may also find that you
can replace just the tips with hiking pole tips.  Replacement tips are
readily available so the question will be weather the hiking pole tips will
fiti onto the ski pole tubing.

Happy Hiking,

Mara