[pct-l] 10 Days of Food in a bear can

Hi Monty,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Monty Tam wrote:

> Who me??
> I was making coment on the previous person's email.
> I was lucky to get in 6.

I started it. I've managed to fit 15 pounds of food into a garcia, making
for a heavy little barrel.

> She placed the end of the loaf in the one inch of space left then put
> all of her weight on it.  She got the whole loaf in that one inch space.

Could have been me. My secrets are couscous, couscous and couscous. ;-)
Well, I like nuts too and pasta, pesto, a large bottle of olive oil and
hard cheese. I think that salami, jerky, powdered milk, oatmeal etc. are
too low on calories (compared to their volume).

> I'm 2 lbs a day or always hungry.

I don't think a thru-hiker would consider my bear can enough to live 10
days off. But most medium distance hikers should be ok with 3000 kcalories
a day.

Ilja.