[pct-l] Bear Story

I thought I would share a bear story from southern California. I started hiking from Campo but had severe blisters and had to go home to heal. So I started hiking form north to south in sections. This was great because I was able to meet most of the thru hikers.
My first hike was from Big Bear to Highway 10. It was around mile 247 when I rounded a corner and saw what I thought was a shaggy dog running away from me. Pretty weird I thought to myself until it ran off of the trail and climbed a tree...hum? A bear cub. I didn't stick around because I knew that the momma bear was no doubt near by. I've had many bear encounters in my life as a gold miner so I know better.
So I kept hiking until I decided to take a lunch break along mission creek. I took off my shoes and socks (no more blisters for me), broke out some cheese, crackers and salami and was just sitting there on a butt size rock right next to the narrow trail enjoying the view of the stream and the cool breeze in the shade. I had a few bites and then I heard a noise behind me coming from the direction I just came. It was black bear (brown in color) and it had just rounded the corner of bedrock along the narrow trail and was only 10 feet away from me. I immediately stood up bear footed (no pun intended) and we just stared at each other for a few seconds. I'm thinking OH Sh*t! Then suddenly the bear started running at me. I yelled HEY! and fell over the rock backwards as the bear ran right pass me. He just wanted by and didn't want to turn around. Of course I didn't know that at the time. But it sure scared the hell out of me. From my point of view I was about to be attacked by a large bear.
I stood there shaking for about 5 minutes as the bear had crossed the creek and was about 50 yards away just looking at me. By the time my heart had slowed down I thought about getting my camera out. But it was too late. All I got was his bear butt walking away from me.
He did follow me down the trail a bit from the other side of the creek. That was a bit freaky.
Hey you can have bear encounters in south California.
Hey did anyone else see any bears around here?
Walkabout