[pct-l] Snakes and bears

Everything is relative, too....year to year, person to
person, even hour to hour.  It's strange.

In '00 I walked all the way through southern
California and never saw a single rattlesnake.

In '04 in the same stretch of PCT same time of the
year, I saw over 30 rattlers!

Last year I had numerous bear encounters and met a lot
of other PCT and JMT thru-hikers who also had bear
encounters--many negative as I recounted.  Yet at the
same time, I knew as many hikers who never even saw a
bear.  And some of them were only a day or so ahead or
behind me.

Nocona
--- ed <meadowed@comcast.net> wrote:
--SNIP--

> Yes lots of people have hiked the whole southern PCT
and never saw a
> snake...some folks go all the way to Canada and may
not see a bear....SO