[pct-l] Lightening on the PCT

Forgot what year....3-4 ago? I was at 13.000 about, on Trail Crest high
trail about
2 miles from the summit of Whitney...sparks played off the end of my ice axe..
hair stood on end- on my arms and head...everyone in my party screamed
and shouted......I ran like hell down the west side trail and yelled at
everyone to
follow me.

Lightniing struck about 100 yds behind us...in the exact spot I was
standing ??? if the burn
mark was any indication..BUT..I am not sure...was soooo frightened our time
was up-
I new from training that a strike was imminent, in a few secs, if your hair
stands on
end...the pre-strike?? but you never know if it was the exact spot or
not...our flight reaction
probably clouded my estimate of the situation. Snuggling with my date that
night was
exceptionally intense as we cherished life and the close call we had...but
I wonder to this
day why I kept hold of the ice-axe..as it was clearly a lightning rod!! go
figure...