[pct-l] Real Bear Trouble in '04 -- Attacks and Raids

Just to calm some fears...

I have to say that although others in 04 saw bears, I didn't see any.
Actually I did see one in washington running far from me...

If I did the trail again, I seriously wouldn't sweat it.  I probably
wouldn't think about it much at all (since I didn't even see one in the
sierra's)

Just the other side of the coin kinda thing for those of you worried...  I
must ad that in Yosemite I walked in and out of the bear areas in one day
each, without having to camp in them.  If I did the hiked again I would be
careful in those areas Nocona mentions.

I brought the ursack which I ditched because it was too heavey - once I
passed yosemite...

Most of the time myself and the people I hiked with slept with our food in
our tents.  We even fell asleep this way when we knew a bear was around - we
heard it in the woods 100 yards from us... (of course not in yosemite/glen
aulen area) ( that was in oregon)

In fact most everyone I hiked with - upwards of 25 people (at different
times of course) didn't use bear cans and slept with their food in the tent.
  it was just the way... I guess we all figured that the bears are scared of
us, which largely , they are.

The only problems came with mice in washington. then we hung our food.

The only real close call I heard of was when priest, profit, and creamy hung
their food five feet from their tent door.  they said a big bear came right
up to it and ate the food whilst they held each other and cried... LOL

I must admit I hadn't heard of Nocona's story until I recieved this email...

Even so, the feeling I got while walking across the country are that bears
are big racoons.  True they have the ability to hurt you but mainly they are
just scavangers and are afraid of you.

I know some people have see the ugly side, but seriously don't let it scare
you into gear overkill...

Hope that doesn't sound stupid, it's just what I did (and most of the other
hikers too)

Oh, I was so scarred at the begining that I actually brough bear spray which
I ditched in someone elses pack - he he!

If I did it again I'd bring a pack of black cats fire crackers just in
case... Actaully Splitter gave me a pack but after carrying them a week i
tested one and it was just a sparkely thing.. LOL!!!

Mouse out