From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Kraig Mottar
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 12:32 PM
To: AsABat; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - Re: RE: [pct-l] bear canister

Why are bear canisters required and what exactly are they?

I'm assuming its a safety issue. Safety laws are a waste in my opinion,
like drug laws, seatbelt laws, and helmet laws. If someone needs to be
protected from themselves, it is very importantant that we go out of our
way to not protect them from themselves. I mean with overpopulation,
court costs, etc.

Kraig

> From: "AsABat" <AsABat@4Jeffrey.Net>
> Date: 2005/02/09 Wed PM 08:16:59 PST
> To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
> Subject: RE: [pct-l] bear canister
>
> You were lucky she started to understand. I was stopped by a ranger
> going down from Whitney. I had a 6-day permit starting at Trail Pass
> but was coming out on the third day. My G4 pack was smaller than her
> day pack and she thought I pulled a Trail Pass permit for a day hike
> because the day permit quota was full. She grilled me for 20 minutes
> about where I'd been, what I saw, and where I camped each night. She
> then called another ranger and went through it all again before
> letting me continue. She then decided I must be telling the truth. It
> probably would have been faster to just empty my pack and show her my
gear. And, yes, I had a bear can!