[pct-l] PCT's birds and other critters

>Nice campsite, nice river, nice
> fire-ring, not so nice bear. After that I got a bear
> cannister - <$10 for
> two weeks rental from Devil's Postpile office. Mailed it
> back from Tahoe.
> Great deal for a little extra peace of mind.

Bears love nice campsites, rivers, and fire rings at least
as much as hikers do. They gravitate to these places, often
nightly, because past experience has shown them that they
can sometimes acquire food here. And the odors of food can
linger for days after the last party has used a site. In my
experience, stealth camping well away from established
campsites greatly minimizes the odds of a bear encounter
and, where legal, usually obviates the need for a bear can.
UNLESS, of course, it's an Ursafloat. Those things are the
best!

I understand Devil's Postpile NM occasionally sends a staff
member into the backcountry with a bear suit. Federal budget
cuts to blame. <bg>

- bf