[pct-l] Re: Fear

As a 2005 aspirant, my greatest fear is one that I think hasn't been
mentioned yet:  money.  (Although some may have been able to read it between the lines
of my posts.)  We're doing our thru-hikes back-to-back, or trying to, mainly
because I don't want to go back into the "real world."  I want to figure out
how to do this full-time, and that's tough.  I'm realizing how dependent on
money we really are, for everything, and how being dependent on money makes us
dependent on other things:  jobs, corporations, banks, other people.  What if we
run out of money and return "home" literally penniless?  What if the money we
have isn't enough to hike what I would call a "comfortable" hike?  I know
that comfort has flexible definitions on the trail, but what I'm trying to define
is what I need in personal comfort in order to be happy.  I know happiness
isn't solely dependent on comfort, but to some degree, it is.

For instance:  I'm probably not going to have enough money to replace my
synthetic bag with a down one--what if I'm miserable at night?  And I keep
thinking of that $200 or whatever in terms of how many AYCEs that is, or breakfasts
at diners, or motel rooms with air-conditioning after spending a week in
blistering heat, or heck, a six-pack of beer in town.  All of these things add to my
happiness on the trail, but to achieve them I have to sacrifice my freedom,
and thus my happiness, in other ways, maybe by putting off my hike for another
year and working, or whatever.

It's brutal trying to figure out what you actually *need* to live, rather
than what you want.  Really, we could go off and build a shack beside a mountain
and live off the land, like the guy someone mentioned recently.  Or go find
Chris McCandless's bus in Alaska.  So what do I need?  And how do I separate
that from what I want?

Sorry if I'm angsting too much for a Thursday--I guess I haven't completely
managed my zen yet.  (But on that note, what do you all think about the
importance of thinking?  Does zen really promote no thinking, or just a different
kind of meditative thinking?  I insist on believing that thinking about all this
stuff, pondering it, analyzing it is the only way to make decisions that
you're going to be happy with later.)

Anyway.  Come hell or high water, see y'all on the trail this year.

Marzipan
AT04