[pct-l] Question regarding boots and feet.

I've seen many PCT hikers cut the toes out of their running shoes
before the 150-mile mark.  The hot SoCal sand makes hiker feet
swell starting from day 1.  I always start the trail with shoes which
are 1.5 sizes larger than I'd normally wear at home.

yogi

shane wohlken <darkbodhi@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm curious as to how soon into the trail during
a thru-hike to expect my boots to become too
tight and require an exchange for larger boots.
In other words, can I expect to replace my boots
near the half-way point, 500 miles in, 200 miles
in? I realize that this is a hard question to
answer since everyone's feet are different, but I
was wondering if there was an average distance
where the boot exchange occurs (assuming it
occurs at all)? And in a related (and just as
difficult to answer) question, what is the
average size difference a thru-hiker can expect
in their feet? Do you tend to go up 1/2, 1, or 2
boot sizes when it's all said and done?

Thanks,

Shane