[pct-l] Source of Quote and Fear

Greg asked:  "The heaviest thing we carry on our backs is fear."
Can someone tell me the author or source of that quote?

***********

I think that Lynne Weldon said that in his video on lightweight backpacking.
  He certainly talked about the concept, if not in those exact words.

re: Fears -

My biggest fear before a thruhike is that something will happen so I can't
do the hike - injury, illness, family issues, etc.  On the trail, I worry
that various injuries will send us home early -- but so far we've kept on
hiking despite a sprained ankle (me on the PCT), broken bone in foot (Jim on
the PCT), tendonitis (me on the AT, Jim on the CDT), broken rib (Jim on the
CDT), broken wrist (Jim on the AT), etc.  As we get older, the risk is
higher that injury or illness will sideline us, but we'll keep on hiking as
long as we possibly can.

My other fear reflects Greg's:  the fear that the push for miles will keep
me from enjoying the hike.  That has happened for short periods of time,
usually where water was a major issue, but when it isn't absolutely
necessary to push the miles Jim and I are pretty good about easing up.  I
need to be able to relax by a lake or swim in a stream or sit at an overlook
and watch the hawks -- it's part of why I go out.  I also like to feel that
I am in control of my mileage, not circumstances.  Given an option of 15, 18
and 20 miles, we'll often do the 20 miles, but I like to feel like the
choice is mine, not just the result of too many switchbacks between me and
my next water source.  Jim and I agreed long ago that if our hike becomes a
death march, we'll change our plan.  It is less important to finish a
thruhike in one year than to enjoy the months we spend on the trail.  So far
we've been able to do both.
Ginny