[pct-l] Which book?

I could have gotten by without the data book or yogi's handbook, but I'm glad
I didn't.  I found the combination of the data book, yogi's handbook, and the
guidebooks invaluable. For 99% of the trail, I didn't look at the guidebook,
and relied on the databook for landmarks.  For the 1% where I did use the
guidebook, I needed it though - and you never know when you're gonna need it.  The
tips in yogi's handbook, especially the southern CA water and town info, were
indispensable.

Take the guidebooks.  Tear out and carry only the section(s) you are
currently hiking. The guidebooks have maps that cover the immediate vicinity of the
trail and long-winded text descriptions.  Most of the time I found them
confusing and littered with irrelevant information, but when it mattered, I was able
to puzzle out the correct route.  I think they would benefit from some
clarifying rewrites and removal or separation of the non-trail informaiton, and the
maps would be better at higher resolution with color, but they're indespensible
when compared to not having the information they provide.  Twice I ended up
hiking sections without the guidebook, and it sucked. I survived, but the trail
intersections were stressful. Also, the mileage markers are only point to
point, so it can be hard to calculate how many miles to the next campsite/
watersource - its easy to miss one and think that your goal is closer than it is.

Take the databook.  The databook contains the mileage markers from the
guidebooks without all the babbling text.  It also contains markers for the major
water sources.  Most of the time, I hiked from landmark to landmark and never
looked at the guidebook.  Also, its easy to miss a mileage marker when reading
the guidbook, and so think that your goal is closer than it is.  The databook
has cumulative mileages, so the math is easier.

Take yogi's handbook.  The guidebooks and databook have errors (they say go
West for water when the water's really East), and yogi catches most of them.
Unless you've been to all the towns along the way, then the town info is
important too.

You could could go without all three, but aren't 25 mile days hard enough?

my $0.02

be well. hike on.

-Gizmo