From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of
Bighummel@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:14 PM
To: pct-l@backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Fear

So, this brings up an rather interesting question for those who have hiked
the trail before and those who are aspiring to do so;

What are/were your greatest fears before taking that first step?

Mine;

1) That I would just burn out after a few weeks of walking high mileage days
and the fun of seeing what is over that next ridge would wear off.  It
didn't.

2) That my gear wasn't right.  It was and got better during.

3) That my experience level wasn't good enough.  It wasn't but good really
good along the way after numerous experiences in snow and heat and rain and
bugs.

4) That "no" was just too easy of a cop out.  That I should listen to my
friends and family who thought I was nuts to try this.  I'm sure glad I
didn't
listen to them, but did to my heart.

5) That I just couldn't do this.  That I simply didn't have it within my
heart and mind.  Turned out that I did and it was the only thing that I
really
needed in the first place and all of the other fears were misplaced and
fruitless.

6) That I might lose my life out there.  I quickly came to the realization
and calm resignation that if it is my time to go, then at least I'm doing
something I clearly love to do.

What are/were yours?

Greg "Strider" Hummel