From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Richard
Lange
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 4:21 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [BULK] - [pct-l] Regarding Fobes Saddle

I did 74 to the Palm Springs tramway in late October, camping one night
on Fobes Saddle. It's a nice spot. There are plenty of large flat areas
to pitch a tent, an empty water cache under a big tree and a log to sit
on while you cook and watch the quail run. I hiked up from the road (1.5
miles, I think) and cached water there a couple weeks before my hike. It
was waiting right where I left it. A quiet night, cold, but no wind. If
it got too windy, you could head down the trail back to the road about
100 yards or so and find some tree cover that might help. Got up early
in the morning and made it to the tram, via Saddle Junction, by 5:30.
Lots of climbing -- pack light. I have camped at Cedar Spring. Found it
a little dark and creepy, but there's water, and in the summer those big
trees must be a godsend.
Yrs,
Grandmaster Movie Star