[pct-l] katabatic air

If this has been better defined, sorry for the repeat.  I skim most
posts...  Imagine a river of cold air originating over a snowfield or
glacier moving ponderously down the outlet creek valley.  The river is
anywhere from 10' to 30' deep.  It flows very slowly, less than a mile
an hour in most cases.  It can be 10 degrees colder than the air just
outside its flow.  The lesson - don't camp at the bottom of a defile or
next to a creek.

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY