[pct-l] drought and its consequences along the PCT

In one of the many environmental magazines I get, there was a recent
article about forest fires throughout the west. Main point I remember
from the article is that different forests and parts of forests have
different burn patterns depending on local climate, drought, terrain,
tree species, and so on. Some forests or parts are characterized by
infrequent severe fires where everything burns, other parts may have
milder more frequent burns. The fires are a natural part of the ecology
of the forests. The natural world is always changing, our own desires
not withstanding.

IMHO: Biggest "problem" now is that people want to live in and adjacent
to the forests. Yet these people don't accept the consequences of their
decision -- being burned or having their property burned. In stead they
expect the government (all of us) to put out the fires to protect them
from the consequences of their decision. Also the government (us) to
bail them out when they get burned. Similar situation with people who
live on flood plains and ocean front.

My 2?