[pct-l] Re: What do use to carry your 2 gallons per day of waterinthe desert? Marzipan

Well, that all depends on how you look at it.

Does that include caches?
Does it include all water sources, or only those dependable throughout the
hiking months?
And does it only include on-trail, dependable sources, or do you count
dependable sources which are off-trail. If so, how far off-trail before you
don't count it as a viable source?

Yes, I have asked myself all these questions when making my spreadsheet
itineraries. For myself, I count something as a water source if it is
depenable spring thru fall and either on-trail or within a mile of it. I do
not include caches. If I happen to pass one that has water, I may stop for a
drink.

With all that blather out of the way, here are some of the longer dry
stretches (using the criteria mentioned above).

Mexico to Lake Morena- ~20 mi. (right off the bat!)
GATR Rd. to Rodriguez Spur Truck Trail- ~20 mi.
San Felipe Cr. to Barrel Springs- ~23 mi.
Lost Valley Spring to Tule Cyn.- ~18 mi.
NF San Jacinto R. to Snow Canyon drinking fountain- ~22 mi.

That's just the 1st 2 sections. So, yes, unless you're willing to risk
depending on caches and seasonal sources, or unless you're willing to go
off-trail farther than I am, there are plenty longer than 16 mi.

Judson
Ashland