[pct-l] GG VaporTrail vs ULA P1

Here is a review that I posted on Whiteblaze of an expanded capacity P1 that Brian made for me the previous summer for my Great Divide thruhike.  I liked it alot, and it will be making another tour somewhere this summer, maybe on the CDT or PNT.

Suge

 Weight (as tested): 2 lbs, 1.8 oz.

 Price: $149

 Manufacturer web address: http://www.ula-equipment.com

 E-mail address: info@ula-equipment.com

 Capacity: Collar: 900 cu in, Front Mesh Pocket: 450 cu in, Side Pockets:
 450 cu in, Pack Bag: 3,000 cu in, Hipbelt Pockets: 100 cu in, Total: 4,900 cu in

 Size: Medium torso, medium hipbelt.

 Fit: I have a torso length of 19" and the medium length version fitted me perfectly: Hipbelt right over the hip bones. I have a waist of 34-36" and the medium hipbelt was fine initially, but a little large late in the hike.

 Description: The P1-X is a larger capacity version of the ULA P1, designed to have the volume of the larger P2 but with a lower weight. It utilizes a 1/4 length framesheet, but should be treated as a frameless pack. Hipbelt comes standard now and can be removed. Sternum strap is standard. Load lifters are standard. Side compression straps are standard. Most of the pack is made out of Spectra, but some panels are in lightweight nylon.

 Review: My ULA Zenith was fairly well thrashed after putting over 4,000 miles of hiking on it. Although I probably could have hiked for another 500 or 1000 miles with it, I needed something different for my Great Divide Trail thruhike in the summer of 2004. The distances between resupply points are large, necessitating a pack with more volume. Additionally, due to the nature of the Canadian Rockies, I was carrying more base gear than in a normal ultralight load. I asked Brian Frankle, the owner of ULA, to sew me up a special pack. I was looking for approximately 5,000 cubic inches of storage space in a sub 2 lb package. The ULA P2 has the capacity, but weighs in at 3 lbs. 1 lb equals a lot of Snickers Bars.

 Brian increased the size of the main pack bag by about 550 cu. in. and left the rest of the design alone. I added two hipbelt pockets to carry some frequently used gear (camera, compass,snacks), which pushed the weight just over the 2 lb range. The P1-X uses a 1/4 length frame sheet, which is just enough to give support to those carrying a lightweight (rather than an ultralight) load.

 I would load the pack by first putting my Z-rest into the pack, resting against where my back would eventually go (not rolled up into a circle). I then put in my sleeping bag and clothes bag, next to each other and on the bottom. Around these I pack, tightly, smaller bits of gear that I generally do not need. On top of the mass goes the one or two food bags, cook pot and stove, and wind shirt. The top closes with a standard draw cord closure set-up, and a compression strap secures everything on top. In the front mesh pocket goes my tarp and tarp pole (so that I set up camp in a rain storm without openning the pack), along with other things, like maps. In the side pocket goes water, bear spray, fuel cannister, olive oil bottle, etc.

 The ULA P1-X is the finest pack I've ever used, bar none. I would not take it on a mountaineering expedition, nor would I take it on something like the AT or PCT (as a standard ultralight load can be carried in something smaller and lighter). However, if you have a light weight load, or light-medium, this is a good option for the AT or PCT. When I hiked the CDT, this will be the pack I take. If you are into ultralight winter stuff, this is perfect. Without a scale to be sure, I would estimate that the comfort-carry weight range maxes out in the high 30s. Even without loads over 40 lbs, I was still comfortable with carrying the pack. If your baseload is in the high teens or low 20s, you should be comfortable with this pack.

 Stability is a big plus with the pack. With the shoulder straps cranked and the sternum strap on, I could scamper, scramble, and jump around on the thin ridges of the frequently trailess GDT. The pack would not shift and I could move as if it were a part of my body. The padding on the hipbelt is more than enough, although I did find that toward the end of the hike the medium sized hipbelt was almost too large.

 There is a lot of external storage space, something that is important to me. The two side pockets and rear mesh pocket provide plenty of space. A shock cord snugs down the front mesh pocket, while two side compression straps keep the load tight through out.

 Durability appears excellent, without a scratch appearing. Brian did notice a broken cord lock when I returned to Utah. He fixed it immediately. The seams on the pack, which were my worry with the Zenith, are in immaculate condition. I would not suggest getting the "Overkill" option to get the pack made all in Spectra.

 Conclusions: If you have a base load in the 17-24 lb range, this is a good pack for something like the AT or the PCT. If you need extra storage capacity, ask Brian is he will make one for you. Otherwise, the standard sized P1 should be sufficient. I have been highly impressed by the consistent quality and utility of Brian's packs and cannot recommend them enough to prospective long distance hikers who have made a committment to a light or ultralight system of hiking. The P1 is made by Brian in his shop in Logan, UT, and so backlogs could occur. If you are planning a thruhike, order early and make sure Brian knows when you are leaving and how much in advance you need the pack.

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett
Pierce College