From: Gary Wright <at2002@mac.com>
Sent: Feb 3, 2005 12:45 PM
To: backpack45scb <rbalcorn@gmail.com>
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] --and now water!

On Feb 3, 2005, at 1:23 PM, backpack45scb wrote:
> Pioneer Mall trailhead and San
> Felipe Creek sources appear to be gross so be prepared to
> filter/treat.

When I hiked last year I made it a goal to avoid using
water caches as much as possible.  Sort of a self-reliance
thing.  I was still in this mode at Sissors crossing and
so I filtered and treated the water from the San Felipe
Creek with no adverse affects.  I thought the water was
rather clear from a visual standpoint, Pioneer Mail was worse.

Note, this is not my normal practice.  I try to avoid any
water sources that are at lower elevation and/or near roads
and/or civilization.

There were several caches last year that were empty or quite
low when I passed so I was happy to have planned around that.

I did break down and use a few water caches along the way:
	Kelso Valley Road
	Bird Springs Pass
	Cache-22 (Hat Creek Rim)

Maybe a couple others.  In all cases I had very recent and
reliable information that there would be water at the caches.

On a side note, I came down with some 48-hour GI problem
the night before Kelso Valley road and ended up taking a
zero-day at Bird Springs Pass (yes a zero day in the middle
of the desert).

You might think this a bit crazy but I actually enjoyed cold
juice, popsicles, fruit and even watched one of the Lord of
the Rings movies when I wasn't squatting behind a Joshua tree
all thanks to Craig Rogers (a.k.a Computer).

For about a week, Bird Spring Pass became Bird Spring Pass
*Resort*. Computer hauled in a trailer load of goodies
including a generator to power the refrigerator.  Endless
quantities of cold drinks, sandwich fixings, and of course
a computer on which to watch DVDs!

My hardest hiking day ever (20 miles in the *hot* desert,
weak with a fever) ended up with this unexpected view:

http://www.pbase.com/gwright/image/31924565

The end of my zero day at Bird Spring Pass Resort had this view:

http://www.pbase.com/gwright/image/31924567

Many thanks Computer!