From: Monty Tam <metam01@earthlink.net>
Sent: Feb 2, 2005 12:32 PM
To: pct-l <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: [pct-l] Warner Springs to Chihuahua Valley Rd. Water and stuff

 [Original Message]
 From: Robert Ellinwood <rellinwood@worldnet.att.net
 To: <metam01@earthlink.net
 Date: 2/2/2005 6:45:05 AM
 Subject: Puerta Cruz Truck Tr ??

Dr. Bob wrote:

 Monty,

 I'm looking at a DeLorme map of the Warner Springs area. 2 summers ago, as
 I hiked north from Warner Springs, about a third of the way (?) to
 Chihuahua Valley Rd I noticed -to my surprise - a nice tarred road appearing
 on my left, downslope, and eventually coming to within 50 yards of the PCT
 but distinctly below it. At one point there was a "use trail" dropping
 straight down to it from the PCT. There was zero traffic on the road, but
 it looked in decent shape. I couldn't believe it was tarred! Is that the
 Puerta Cruz Truck Tr? How do I drive to that exact point? I want to place
 a water drop there. Do you head up Chihuahua Valley Rd for about 6 miles
 and then turn right onto that tar road? Do you know the road I'm referring
 to? Where does one get on it from the Warner Springs end? I'm counting on
 you - as a local lad - to know all the secrets of the area! Can you write
 some good directions for me?

 Thanks for your help.

 Dr Bob

Response:

Hey Dr. Bob
I'll help if I can.
You're talking about the north-of-town Warner Springs crossing to Chihuahua Valley Road? About an 18 mile stretch or about mile markers 110 thru 128 ?
It this right?

I suspect the road you're talking about is what we call Indian Flats Road. Only a section away from the highway is paved. It goes from just west of the Hwy 79 trailhead 7 miles NE to Indian Flats Campground. At about it's fourth mile( road miles) it comes close to the PCT, as you say, which is about mile 116, six PCT miles from the road, or as you called it, about one third of the way to Chihuahua Valley Road. Good call, one third exactly.

(Puerta la Cruz in a women's prison honor camp. Their road goes back about two miles off the highway but it's a little farther north. Even with clearance, which I do have, I strongly doubt they'd let me stray beyond the main section. I've met some very nice women there. Thay just happen to be in prison.)

On your way there you don't really need to carry water at all, especially if you stach a cashe. You'll be hiking along the Auga Calliente Creek. After your first mile you'll come to a little picnic table area, cross the creek (right now you might get your feet a little wet, but there's places to rock-hop 50 yards up and down stream. Here you climb above the creek for well over a mile. On your left in the distance you'll see Lake Henshaw and Palomar Mountain. Kelly and I live at Lake Henshaw. Don't forget to wave. You'll drop back down to Agua Caliente Creek and follow it north for a mile to about the 115 mile mark. Last water for a while. Now it's uphill. In over a mile you'll see your road and trail dropping down to it. If you stash a cashe, you won't have to carry any water uphill the last mile. There is more water ahead right now though, Lost Valley Spring.
Hit and miss as far as quality and quantity? I don't know. Can't remember being there, but if I remember right, in about four miles there's a short trail that drops to the right to one of the springs that feed Agua Caliente Creek. Right now into June there should be plenty of clear water. Other years not as good?? If you choose this one, you're only eight miles from Chihuahua Valley Road. No water that I know of beyond this point. Big water cashe and maybe a water tank at Chihuahua Valley Road.

Right now Agua Caliente Creek is clear and clean, and running very well. The best water at the picnic table area and above. Personally, I wouldn't carry any water until the last eight miles (extreme heat the exception).

When are you planning on going?

I'm sending you a little map that shows you're approach from the south.

Eric,,,,,If you're listening, do you have anything else to add?

Thanks Dr. Bob
I feel a little more oriented having to think about this.

Warner Springs Monty