[pct-l] Etna Summit

Etna is a step back in time, as is much of Siskiyou County. After WW2
there was a small ski run in the cirque east of the summit. It had a simple
rope tow run by a car wheel as the pulley. Today the locals snowboard
and ski down from the summit to the last switchback on the road to Etna.
I did it about 10 years ago and it is a great run. The snowshoeing around
the summit is great as is the xc skiing. Siskiyou county's locals have a
history of embracing the PCT and the thruhikers that pass thru here on their
personal journeys. The hiker's have a passion for adventure and
wilderness that is in synch with the locals. We are also proud to be thought
so highly and looked forward to by the hikers long before you arrive in our
backyard....it is a very special place to live and hike through. It isn't a place for
the faint of heart, weak of spirit and spine, and we are slow to change for good
reason. A few do retire here, and thruhikers are a noble welcomed spirit.
Come on back, ya here, take your boots off, and stay awhile.. Hikon.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just thought I would share a bit about the current conditions up above Etna.
This weekend my wife and I headed north to snowshoe south from the Etna
Summit trailhead.    We found 4-5 feet of snow with 3-4 inches of fresh
stuff left on Thursday night.  It was a glorious day for snow travel and
although we didn't make it out as far as I had hoped it was a wonderful
adventure.

Enjoy Etna!

Jeff
Hopeful member of the Class of 2006
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Etna. Great, clean, very small old town with very warm people.
A lot of people, unsolicited, were eager to connect us with a couple of
local trail angels.  One was out of town, but his home, with great hiker
boxes, was unlocked with signs welcoming hikers to make themselves at home
but leave the door open so the cat could get in and out.  The other loved
giving hikers rides, not only back to the summit, but as far north as
Ashland and recently one I-5 hiker farther than that.
We made a lot of genuine friends in two days.  I called home and said I
found a place to consider for retirement.
I'll be back.

Warner Springs Monty