[pct-l] Homemade down sleeping bag/quilt

Has anyone ever made a homemade sleeping bag or quilt?

After everyone's very helpful advice about the need for warmth in the desert,
we're reevaluating our sleeping system.  Right now we have two twenty-degree
synthetic bags that zip together.  I *hate* synthetic.  I feel like I'm cold
until I start sweating and then I'm cold again.  So we're investigating down
options, and we've always thought that we could adapt the Jardine system to make
a quilt-like bag that wouldn't be quite as wide as two sleeping bags zipped
together and with other us-specific specifications.  So, my questions:

1.  Has anyone homemade a down bag?
2.  Any good online sources for down?  (We've found a couple through web
searches, but they're pretty expensive.
3.  And how much would this cost, anyway?
4.  Would the 1.1-oz. nylon recommended in Beyond Backpacking work to hold in
down, or is that only recommended for synthetics?

I guess that's it.  Again, cost is pretty much our primary concern.  Thanks,
everyone--

Oh, and, by the way, we're leaving the dog.  Sad but true.

County and Marzipan