[pct-l] New quarter features John Muir

Hi gang,
I wanted to share my "two bits" and thought that this might come as interest to some:

The U.S. Mint has announced that the new California state quarter will be available today. It depicts naturalist/conservationist John Muir admiring Half Dome with a soaring California condor. Los Angeles graphic artist Garrett Burke, 42, designed the coin that Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger selected from five finalists including images of sun and waves, a redwood tree, the Golden Gate Bridge and a gold panner.

"I'm thrilled with the outcome," said the self-described nature enthusiast, calling Yosemite Valley and John Muir the "real stars".
Schwarzenegger, who spent two months reviewing the designs and personally added the condor to the coin as an example of an "amazing comeback," reserved special words for Muir, a Scottish immigrant who first saw Yosemite Valley in 1869 and became known as the father of the conservation movement, a prolific nature writer and founder of the Sierra Club.

"Muir has been a role model to generations of Californians and to conservationists around the world," Schwarzenegger said.

Check out the Sierra Club's website for more info.

-Chuckie