[pct-l] Youth Outreach Program

Greg,

Thank you for doing this!

One of my most memoable and enjoyable backpacks was when I took Lee, the
then 13 year old son of my ex boss with me on a JMT hike. We started at
Onion Valley up over Kearsarge Pass then down the PCT/JMT to the top of
Whitney and then on out. A decade or so later I attended his wedding.
Unfortunately we have lost contact.
Even back then, the steady pace of the tortise (me) won the race with
the hare (him). then as we headed down from Whitney as I feared, my knee
became too painful to continue so I had to camp at the first available
spot alongside the trail. I had warned Lee that I might have to crash
and he would have to return up to me. He did. He did all the cooking,
etc. that night while I lay in my sleeping bag resting my knee. Next day
we hiked out OK.

So to those of you who get/make the opportunity, I urge you to take the
youth along.

John