[pct-l] Flip Flop/Book project for 2005.

We, (NaborJ and Chowder), may also consider doing a flip flop or even
attempt to do the PCT southbound.  Although we've been planning to hike the
most common northbound direction, it might make sense to alter our plans in
regard to safety and to ensure completing the trail.  Being that this is our
first attempt of the PCT, we have been following the weather and it looks
like it could be a "tough go" this year in respect to fording bodies of
water, crossing the Sierras, and hiking in less than great trail conditions.
  Not only is this my first attempt of hiking the PCT, but I am working on a
book project that has been in the works for two years.  The goal is to
produce a book that will allow a reader to understand the experience of
thru-hiking the PCT.  For example: Who are the people and where are they
from?  Why do they attempt to do it?  What exists in resupply towns and how
does the system of resupply work?  What exists on the trail in regard to
fauna, flora, weather, etc.?  And so on.  Once produced, I aim to kick back
the proceeds to the PCT via sales in various channels; i.e. via the PCTA
website, my own webiste, and through gallery exhibitions and lectures.  (The
book will be a coffee-table photography book, with journal entries and
recordings/interviews that will appear on a cd in the back of the book.)  As
you can imagine, it is difficult to alter any plans to such an undertaking
in regard to the aspect of producing a book, but the main goal is to
complete the PCT safely and to document the experience.  Whether the class
of 2005, hikes northbound, southbound, or attempts a flip flop, I hope that
we all have a safe journey and that our cross may pass during our hike.  In
the meantime, let's hope that the precipitation slows down in the west!
Good luck with planning your hike, and many thanks for all of your replies
to my questions on the pct-l in the past.....I'm sure there will be more!
Take it easy,
Jason Waicunas - (NaborJ)