[pct-l] Bugs

"almost unbearable" is an understatement.  They will make you insane.
Don't bother with Citronella.  100% DEET is the only thing that works.
I've found that the REI brand Jungle Juice bottles leak.  The Ben's brand
(orange bottles) don't leak.  Be sure to double-ziplock-bag your DEET.

yogi

www.pcthandbook.com

Matt Bradley <bodhisattvavow@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to the PCT-L and am planning a thru hike s to n this year. I am curious what people think about dealing with bugs in the areas where they are at their worst. I have done some hiking in the central OR Cascades in june and July and found the bugs to be almost unbearable. How many people carry chemical bug protection (i.e. DEET or Citronella), how many just use clothing, and for those who use a tarp, what do you do at night?
Peace and Love
Matt