[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

In a message dated 1/18/2005 11:35:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Lonetrail@aol.com writes:

> [...]

lost.<<<<<

This may be more or less true when he reached the Sierra, however, he  didn't
start out for the Sierra.  In 1867 he was headed for South America,  and
malaria caught in Florida caused him to wind up in California.  When he  crossed
the Ohio River and went into Louisville, he navigated his way through  town
with a compass.  So, although his writings make little mention of a  compass, I'm
betting he was well versed in its use.  I have little  difficulty in
picturing him with a gps.  After all, don't you think Custer  would have used M16s if
he coulda?

And further... Thoreau (in Walden) makes mention of frequent yogiing of  meal
and drink in nearby town.

"No Way" Ray  Echols