[pct-l] Technology on the Trail

On the other hand, who besides Thoreau and a handful of
eccentric scholarly types, actually appreciated the
wilderness 200+ years ago? Who had the leisure time, and the
eye for wilderness recreation, communing, contemplation, who
were not so blind to the beauties of nature like the
majority of their day? Remember that for the bulk of human
history, the shadowy corners of the map revealed tigers,
dragons, and witches, rather than hiking trails, baggable
summits, and awesome places to camp.

Granted, Thoreau was living more like the Native Americans,
or at least his dialog with nature was akin to that. (Daily
visits from Walden to town, indeed.) And such a rapport is
as old as humanity itself, in primitive cultures. But so
too, throughout human history, has been this great clamoring
of ours out from the primordial soup. And with it, a
survival instinct, a utiliarian mindset, a busy-ness, that
distinguishes virtually all peoples prior to the birth of
our modern technological age. People were once busy in a
rugged world that demanded, not so much our appreciation it
seemed, but our respect. Our respect for the natural forces
about us that dictated the pace of our lives. A harsh
taskmaster, nature seemed, and so our natural desire to tame
her. And often, to hate her, and fear her.

Only in this day of MP3 players, of ultralight backpackable
guiters, of cell phones and closed cell foam, have the
forces around us - and the focus of our daily lives - come
to an invigorating place of security, reliability, and
freedom from want. No longer is nature a constant force to
be reckoned with. And most importantly, only within the
latter half of the last century, have we applied our
technology to the wilderness in such a way that the going is
sufficiently tame, sufficiently enjoyable, and free of
dragons (and alas, tigers and bears), that "wild nature" for
the masses is actually enjoyable to be with and to walk
thru, perhaps even for months at a time.

Technology has freed us by the millions to enjoy the natural
world, and it has given us the free time with which to do
it. And, yes, it has also changed nature, in some cases
softening her billions-year-old hard edges, and we are
certainly the poorer for seeing her in something of a
manmade light. In this our progenitors knew a world at which
we can only wonder. But how many of them really knew her?
How many could sit in comfort - absolute comfort in a world
of weather - or walk along a path built for contemplation,
or climb a peak simply to appreciate the view of a
benevolent world on the edges of a clearly drawn map?

Are we really the poorer for all our technology? Or is it
more a matter of learning to apply our technology in order
to reap the most benefit from the wilderness still
remaining? We can all be like Thoreau, millions of us today
if we so chose. But unlike Thoreau, we can also climb
Katahdin and reach the summit. And if we happen to fall into
a pond while sniffing tree stumps at water's edge, we may
even live to tell.

All thanks to technology.

- blisterfree

Simblissity Ultralight :: One-of-a-Kind Designs for the
Great Outdoors
www.simblissity.net