[pct-l] Music on the trail

I carried a panasonic mp3 CD player with AM/FM the whole trip, and loved it.
It was a little heavy (especially compared to the tiny mp3 players), but had
unlimited opportunities.  Rather than music, I listened to audiobooks.  Before
the trip, I burned a number of books to mp3 cd (beware, the burning of an mp3
cd takes time...longer than burning 10 cds back to back because the tracks
have to be leveled against each other), so had a library of 10 or so books that
I sent to myself along the trail.  I also took the opportunity to check out
books on CD from various libraries along the way (Big Bear, Wrightwood,
Northridge - from the Sauffleys, Mammoth (rented 2 books from a store that rents
them), and south lake tahoe.  north of tahoe, I either missed the library open
times, or was picking up a book i had sent so didn't need to pick one up.  While I
value unadulturated nature, I enjoyed the opportunity to zone out to a good
story and let the miles roll by.

I also took an mp3 cd of music that lasted pretty well.  on random, 250+
songs can take a while before it gets old.  I used the music mostly on those days
when I felt the pull of town, and wanted to pump out the miles.  I'd toss on
the Linkin Park (for me it worked), and could do almost 4 mph all day. at least
I could until the northern CA miles gave my feet and body a beating, but
that's another story.

FWIW, audio while hiking was great for me.  And I highly recommend
auidobooks.

-Gizmo/Conor