[pct-l] Using Alcohol ...for Cooking

I've got quite a bit of good info for the thruhiker on my Pika stove website. Boiling with alcohol on a homemade stove generally takes twice the fuel as white gas on an MSR or similar stove, but the dry weight of the total alcohol stove system is 3 oz.  My solo Pika stove uses 1/3 filmcan per cup of water or 2/3 fc for 2 cups. The general rule is 1 table spoon per cup of water, and 1 filmcan equals 2 tablespoons. But then you get into the dynamics of the variable combustion equation; water temperature, stand height, stove type, winds, air temperature, elevation, windscreen type, and experience of the cook. I use oven liners which are very heavy foil for my windscreen. Also Traildad Roy has a great site with his cat stove, and there is a link from my site to his. Feel free to check out my site, there might be something worthwhile on it, and I can answer questions off line..

http://users.sisqtel.net/losthiker/pikastove/