[pct-l] Packers

Muir trail ranch is $45 for resupply packages.  There is no store there.
I found the lady that handles the resupply packages to be very friendly
but the extent of their services is a picnic table to sort through your
resupply bucket.  Their website is
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

For us the hitch into Lone pine from whitney portal was a snap.  I had
two offers of rides at the trailhead within 10 minutes.  And we hadn't
showered in 9 days!  The 1/2 pound cheeseburgers at whitney portal were
delicious!

Red's Meadow Resort was up for sale this last summer.  Does anyone know
if it sold & what the impact for hikers will be?

David
david@dalbey.org

:
:Sierra resupply strategy?
:
:Here's what I saw.
:
:Kennedy Meadows Store has a few basics. Ship here.  $2.00.
:Shower $2.00.
:Laundry $2.00.
:
:Muir Ranch $25.00 package fee.  Never went there.  Might be
:worth it.  Can
:a person resupply from the store in a pinch?
:
:Vermillion, $15.00 now.  Expensive store but some basic
:supplies.  Buying
:just enough for the next stop instead of sending a box$$$?
:$16 boat ride across the lake or a six mile hike each way.
:Great burgers
:$9.00 plus tip.  Dinners $15.00.  Desserts include pie and ice
:cream, about
:$6, I think.
:Contraversy over hiker box items being sold in the store.
:Other hiker box
:items available(email me).  Very basic motel rooms with
:electricity until
:the generator goes off (every night) $70.00 ? and need reservations.
:Laundry $5.00.  Shower  $5.00.  Free bed for a night in tent cabins. I
:liked the people. Lots of plusses with a few minuses?  Still
:it's available
:in the middle of nowhere.  I spent $110.00 staying two nights in a free
:bed.
:
:Red's Medow, I believe there's a bus down to Mammoth
:
:Lone Pine risky both ways for hitching.  Lodging almost double
:compared to
:Independence.  Easy hitch north to independence.
:
: