[pct-l] Guidebooks - don't leave home without them

I have a slightly different view of the utility of the guidebooks. For the majority of the PCT, you really don't need anything other than Data book.  However, it is hard to tell when you will get lost or, rather, misplaced (Yogiism).  So, rather than trying to predict the entire future, a simple solution is just to carrying the guides, knowing that you will probably not use them much.  I rarely read the text after the first hundred or so miles, and used the maps on a few occasions.

Certainly you would want some form of maps for the Sierras.  Since the trail is buried within a few miles of each pass, you'll want a map to help you find your way.  I didn't find the guide too helpful with directions.  In a few places a short sentence would have made finding some of the passes alot easier.  In SoCal, you definitely want the water information and perhaps a description of the trail in a few key areas, like around towns or recreation areas (like Silverwood)  If you are going to be in Washington in mid September or especially October, you should definitely have maps for the area as you are pushing weatherluck.  I'd want maps in the Oregon area, or descriptions of alternate routes through the area.  For example, you probably don't want to pass up Crater Lake, but if you just follow the PCT, you won't get it.  Some of the other alternates are worthwhile as well.

Seem like a lot of specialized info?  Yes, it is.  Carrying the guides and data book is a simple solution.  Cutting weight by not hauling the 4 oz. of material (between bounce buckets) is not much of a savings.  Better to eat one less cheeseburger a week and save the weight from your gut.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett