[pct-l] adapting to heat

There is nothing you can do before hand in MA to adjust physically to the heat.  However, there is plenty you can do.  First, know that the heat is nowhere near as bad you might think. Although most days will be in the upper 90s, this isn't like a day in the upper 90s in the east or south or midwest. The air is dry, there is usually a pleasant breeze, and the day is comfortable.  I found that it took sustained temps in the low 100s to bother me much.

Second, carry and drink a lot of water and do not cook away from a water source.  That is, all the water you carry is for drinking, not for cooking or cleaning.  This isn't too hard to do, just cook in the afternoon when you reach a source, then hike on and camp where you like.  Remember, drink alot of water.  That is important, so I'll say it a third time: Drink a lot of water.  Many people like to use bladder systems so that they drink as they go.  I don't do this, prefering to drink when I take a break, generally every 2 hours.  Many people will say this is less efficient, but I disagree.

Third, and maybe most important, hide from the sun with clothing, not sunblock. I put sunblock on maybe three times before Kennedy Meadows and came through SoCal with lily white skin.  Wear a long sleeve white shirt, long tan pants, and a big brimmed hat with a neck cape (I like one by Sunday Afternoons).  Wear sungloves if you can find them.  I was able to hike through the heat of the day, mostly, without incident.  Sunblock will not save you.  Take a cue from desert dwellers around the world: Wear a lot of clothes.

Fourth, wear  running shoes, not boots, not trail runners.  As much mesh as you can find.  If you can feel the wind between your toes, that is about right.  I wouldn't go with sandals, however, as there are enough prickly things in the desert to make this problematic. Then again, I wouldn't wear sandals anyways.

Finally, enjoy.  SoCal was one of my favorite places and the desert probably isn't what you think it to be.  The stretches of low, flat, hot desert are relatively few. The PCT tries to stick to the mountains, and only crosses true desert in a few places, in between the ranges.  Shade can always be found for a break and the flower display in 2003 was just immaculate. Better than any of the spring flower shows in southern Appalachia, at least that I've experienced.

Suge

Christopher Willett
cwillett@pierce.ctc.edu
www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett