[pct-l] Ear Plugs

>Very light to carry and a "Duel Purpose" item.
> Bottom line is on a windy exposed ridge walk in the Goat Rocks or Sierras, these little guys work well in keeping cold air out of >your ear canals. Also in town to help sleep with all the traffic near motel after weeks on the trail.  ( And yes, you make have some >fat snorer type guy,,no names please, sawing logs close by!!
> Mad Monte
.
.
.
I concur with Monte on earplugs as being an essential piece of gear in the backpacking kit. In 2002, I hiked xc in the Wind Rivers with a sylnylon tarptent by Integral Designs. The Siltarp. It takes about 45 minutes to set it up tight and then if it's windy, it's flaps with at incredible noise level. That night on the north side of Indian Pass at lake 10730, the wind blew at about 45mph all nite long, and I couldn't sleep at all due to the flapping noise. Suddenly I remembered and hoped the earplugs were there in the kit, and thankfully they were there. My buddy was in a Squall about 30 yards away, and complained about my tarp's noise! I now carry a Henry Shires Squall tarptent due to that nite, some rude hailstorms, insects, wind, and rainstorms. The Squall is much more taught in the wind, sets up taught in 2 minutes, but I still carry the foam ear plugs. You can use them as bobbers when fishing too. And if the bears are partying too loud in Vidette or Tuolumne Mdws, put the plugs in.  Hikon.