[pct-l] Three Pin XC boots

   old timer says:

OK, This is off-topic but I think some of you could advise me.

I have a pair of Asolo XC ski boots with an extended toe for 3-pin
bindings. The bootsw are ankle high. I got them 15 or so years ago.  My
question: Is the 3-pin binding system still being used for XC skiing.
(I'm referring to true cross country skiing -- not skiing around on
groomed trails with set tracks.  Are the boots suitable for today's
skis, or should I just toss them into the trash.?

"an old timer"

Old timer,  I don't think its possible to buy new three-pin xc ski bindings anymore.  My wife broke her 3 pin bindings in about 1975 and I repaired them on the trail with some wire.  She continued to use them that way for over 20 years.  I finally told her I wouldn't take her skiing any more without new bindings.  We could not find three pin bindings anywhere and we were about to buy new boots and bindings. We stood in line at REI with her ancient skis and boots as she complained that she didn't want to give up her beloved boots and she didn't want new skis and on and on.  Finally, a woman showed up with a pair of skis with a pristine set of three-pin bindings that she was about to replace with modern bindings.  We made a deal on the spot and my wife got to keep her old skis and boots and had virtually new three pin bindings for a few bucks.  So, what you need to find is a very, very stubborn person  who won't give up his or her old skis and bindings, but needs your boots.

Wayne