[pct-l] Ice Axe Length

 While different folks all use gear that works for them. I still wish to make my push to the long handled ice axe. If your spike is sticking down, you should drop the axe through the loop, then pull up handle and secure to keep spike up while packing axe. If you are in an area steep and icy going up, you may need to drop back down through a few exposed areas that cannot be safely glissaded down. A ice axe must be in hand and a short handled one isn't very good at preventing slips. A long handle is great on the downhill and allows you more control and leverage than a short handle. ( Watching folks with a short handled axe dangling a foot above the snow on their downhill  plunge doesn't invoke a secure image!) You can plunge the long handle into soft deep snow for a better bite than a short handle and to reposition your feet for next step down.
    PCT or CDT isn't real mountaineering for sure , but there may be times that it looks like a close substitute! Some years Sierras are fairly snow free or if you are back in the pack a few days in the Sierras, the pass have a " Rut" to follow  up which is almost like a fence keeping you safe. For the early hikers or folks doing the PCT on a big snow year ( Which we haven't had for several years) the extra ozs. of a long handle offer big payoffs in crossings.