[pct-l] Ice Axes,, Does length matter??

 My biggest gripe in the whole world is the selling of short handled ice axes!! Finally one of the makers feels my pain! Check out your new issue of Backpacker with an axe and is a combo ice axe/hiker pole with complete basket. This is a telescoping handled ice axe that weighes 19 ozs. While not the lightest in the land, looks to be a good piece of gear for next year's thru-hikers PCT / CDT.  I hate these short handled techo-ice hammer length ice axes that always seem to stay on the back of your pack. Hikers biggest compliment about them of their weight. ( Hey, why not make them with only a 4 inch handle and save more weight!! TIC)
    I love a nice 90cm handle and axe should hit floor and your hand's palm out flat at same time. ( Ever go downhill with a short ice axe? Not much help until you do fall and offers no prevention from that, plus do a horrible job at self belay with that short handle driven in the snow. Wood axes rule with me and don't forget some nice Stubi Ultralight Crampons as well for early trips or bad snow years. Monte ( Broken Record) Dodge