[pct-l] planning first pct hike!

Shaun,

shaundeller@hotmail.com writes:
"First, what is the ideal time to start out (April, May, I'm not quite sure
as opinions differ)."
Early April in dry winters, mid May in heavy winters, anything in between
depending upon your hiking pace in normal years.
" Second, I read something about a PCT hiker gathering that happens in April.
It sounds like a fun opportunity to meet some others. Is this in Campo, CA at
the start of the trail? What is the date?"
This is the Annual Day Zero Pacific Crest Trail Kickoff, or ADZPCTKO, just
"kickoff", or just "ADZ".  The website is www.pct77.org/adz for dates and
information.  The website is fully functional for registration, ridesharing,
schedule of events, etc. yet (hey, give us break, it is still 4 months away!), but
you can find out the type of things that go on there by looking at the
information on the 2004 or older events.
"Third, I have made all my own gear and plan to travel lightweight but I
would like to hear some rough estimates of food and shipping cost totals
experienced by seasoned thru hikers. This is the big expense for me and I am hoping
that hearing some estimates from others will give me an idea  of how much I need
to spend. "
Other, more recent hikers can give you a good idea of this.  Check out the
PCT-L archives also at; http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/
"Fourth, I am thinking about going solo (all my friends are too tied
down by jobs or girlfriends). Who else out there has done the PCT solo and
what are their thoughts on it? I am pretty happy being by myself for long
periods of time. I am wondering how others feel about safety concerns of going solo.
Have any thru hikers formed friendships just by meeting other thru hikers
while on a solo journey. I would appreciate hearing some advice and stories."
You will most likely meet the nicest people that you have ever associated
with out there on the PCT.  3 of my 5 best friends, 27 years after I hiked the
trail, are people that I met on the PCT!  Probably 10 of my best 15, too.  This
is also one of the purposes of the ADZ, provide an early opportunity for you
to begin building the trail comraderie that becomes so strong further up the
trail.

Best regards,

Greg Hummel