[pct-l] snow pack between Tuolumne Meadows and Lake Tahoe

This is what I have done, i.e., look at the current year March 1st and April
1st snow pack information for several high elevation survey sites and then
look for several similar years with close data at those dates and see what the
variation is on the "zero" day snow.  Then I make a prediction based on
averages.  I also compare the March 1st data to the May 1st data (for which all years
have historical information) to look for late Spring snow storms that reverse
earlier snow pack conditions.  This happens about 20% of the time,
irrespective of the earlier conditions.   It isn't perfect as the historical information
for say Upper Tyndall Creek (11,400' and just south of Forester Pass; THE
critical pass) or Bighorn Plateau (11,350') only goes back to 1970.  34 years of
data is nothing statisically but it is what we have to go with on these
critical survey sites.  Looking at this data you can see that in heavy snow years the
snow sticks around longer into the Spring, duh.  You can see this heavier
snow pack as early as in the March 1st reports.  Thus you can make a relatively
fair educational guess on when zero day will be as early as March 1st.

Now the definition for "passable";  passable to me is patchy snow to 9,000 or
10,000 feet, full snow but not deeper than a foot or so from 10,000 and up,
expecting some serious ice on Forrester and perhaps other high passes to the
north depending on what time of day you hit them.  You will need an ice axe and
perhaps in-step crampons in order to climb over Forester Pass, as, early in
the season there is commonly a vertical wall of ice from a few feet to ten or 15
feet high there.  Leaving when conditions are this way gives you several
advantages; few people, the Sierra in glorious white capped condition that few
people ever get to see or experience, no mosquitos (but you will get them further
north at one place or another), no bears! and the earliest timing to allow
you to get to Canada before the snow begins to fall up there.  Of course, there
are disadvantages;  dealing with traveling in and camping in snow and possibly
very cold weather, possible high water crossings as this is when the runoff
generally peaks or is still peaking, possibly a semi-technical ice climb to get
over Forester, few people (the flip side, loneliness).

Your definition of "passable" depends entirely upon your experience, your
gear, your willingness or comfortabiltiy in snow, etc.  Use your own judgement in
this.

My prediction is for someone who can handle my definition of passable and has
experience along these lines and is willing to carry the gear to insure
safety.  If your definition is different, then a later entry date into the Sierra
will mean a different set of conditions with a different set of pros and cons.

The entire focus of my prediction is to simply put myself into the shoes of
someone wanting to thru-hike and attempting to pick the earliest start date
that will get me through the Sierra.  Forester was the scariest thing that I had
ever seen in May of 1977 (15 foot vertical wall of ice, 300 foot exposure),
but now I have climbed much more serious things and would be much more
comfortable and equipped facing the same conditions again.

Tom Reynolds employs a different method using the runoff data.  My
predictions have won the past three years and the beer tasted pretty good!

Best regards,

Greg Hummel

In a message dated 12/16/2004 7:24:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,