[pct-l] re:dogs

Take your dog on the PCT?
There are legal issues.  Dogs can't hike on dirt trails in National
Parks, so your dog can't hike with you thru Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings
Canyon, a major part of the PCT in the Sierras.  Ditto for Lassen and
Crater Lake.   So legally speaking, a dog can't thru hike.
My dog (Australian cattle dog) has thoroughly enjoyed section hikes of
up to 300 miles in 25 days, no day exceeding 17 miles, at llama pace,
which is pretty darn moderate (about 2 mph).  She carried nothing, and
ranged out in front of us, behind us and beside us, so probably did more
daily miles than we did.  Never had bloody paws.  But she did pick up
hundreds of ticks when we did section D in late March, and she really
seems to suffer when the weather is over 90.  You can watch her stop and
frantically dig a hole in the shade and flop in it every time we take
the least break in stride.  She never found any ticks in the Sierras,
and it was seldom hot enough to bother her.  But we had to plan our
trips carefully to avoid setting foot in a National Park.  Last summer
it meant using a really marginal trail to get into Emigrant Basin from
Sonora Pass area, because we couldn't use the Dorothy Lake Pass-Bond
Pass connection to get in and out.
Some areas  (like Desolation Wilderness) require you to keep your dog on
a leash, which can be a real nuisance when you walk a rough trail with a
pack on your back.  You would have to train your dog to trail just
behind you while on a leash in order to walk comfortably.  It's no fun
at all to be dragged down a rough trail with a pack on.
Bringing a dog can also have an impact on your encounters with people
and stock on the trail.  Will your dog bark at horses or other people?
We have had many encounters with loose dogs on the trail who barked very
aggressively at our llamas, much to the surprise of their owners.  And a
few people won't want to talk to you if you have a dog along.  I have
tried my best to train my dog not to bark at anyone on the trail.
I once walked on the trail past a camp that had a loose dog (in the
Tahoe area).  The dog rushed up to me and bit me.  Again the owner acted
very surprised, and I had to finish my hike with a leg injury.  So you
might have to consider tethering your dog in camp or camping way out of
sight of the trail (that is always a good practice anyway).
I will agree that a dog who loves to hike can be really good company and
can help you feel more secure if you are hiking solo.  You probably
won't have a bear in camp if you have a dog.  But follow bear
regulations anyway.
Many of the problems I list can be dealt with thru proper training.  I
don't write assuming your dog isn't trained, so please don't take
offense.  These are all just issues I have dealt with thru years of
hiking with dogs and stock and encountering other people's dogs.
I can't vouch for a dog doing a trip longer than a month.  No experience
with that.
My dog is a very happy section hiker if it's not too hot and the ticks
aren't buggin her.
llamalady