[pct-l] PCT Financial Planning

I hear ya, Wayne.

My dreams started in 1978, when I hiked the JMT right out of high
school.  I was lucky enough to have parents who let their two sons,
aged 16 and 18, fly out from New Jersey to CA to hike the JMT.  We met
a lot of hikers, including one fellow on top of Forester Pass who had
hiked north from Mexico. He had a certain look about him - you know,
that comfortable thru hiker look.  I was hooked from that moment on.
Life intervened, and the PCT has been on hold.  In 2002, I got serious
about hiking the whole PCT again, but then career issues got in the way
again.  Instead, in 2003 I hiked the JMT with my wife, 25 years after
my first JMT hike. We had a fabulous trip, and hiked southbound in late
June, encountering dozens of thru hikers heading north. Again, most had
that thru hiker look - not sure how to describe it. Maybe its just my
imagination. I think it's just the attraction of living outside, away
from life's distractions that keeps me interested in long distance
hiking. I think that is what is reflected in the demeanor and faces of
thru hikers.

I can't stand the thought of waiting till I retire (I'm 44). So, I'm
trying to work it out to hike in 2005.  Just a couple more details to
iron out. As has been said on this list before, it's just a matter of
priorities.  I've got a wife and teenage kids too - but they'll support
me, and I hope be inspired by their old man chasing something important
to him.

Keep it alive.

Best,
Don