[pct-l] bicycles

Hello out there

90 percent of our topics on Mountain Biking border on  polarization.
Mountain Biking is here to stay like it or not. Lets get  along
We talk big but don't carry a big stick. The Biking Industry has lobbyist
that put us hikers and backpacker to shame. In fact I believe we carry less
weight then ORV, Equestrian and Outfitters.
 I was an outing Chairperson for one of the states back about 15 years  ago
when MB was just making a start. The hikers were ramping an ragging and  making
a lot of noise while the Biking Lobbyist were at the state capital  funneling
our allotted trail money to widen out hiking trails for  MB.  If we learn to
work together and had pretty  good understanding of each others problems but
there is always a few  who violate and rules on both sides.
I dislike the most is the motorized vehicles that tear up any  trail even our
PC. Yes, they are on the PC. In fact in one area they wait  to carry yes our
Backpacker for a fee saving then about ten miles.  There I said enough

Lonetrail
.

The  exists etiquette and rules, the problems occur with those who break the
rules  and ignore the etiquette. And the fact that lack of enforcement is the
real  culprit.  Unchecked, people do the damnest things, no matter what area
of  life you're talking about.  Laws and enforcement are necessary components
of society, and they're sorely lacking outside of our urban areas.
Vigilanteism is a very dangerous thing.

Bikers don't belong on the PCT,  but this discussion has ranged beyond the
PCT to any and all trails and a  broad comdemnation and antagonism toward
mountain bikers.  There's bound  to be ugliness that springs from that type of
attitude and behavior, whether  perpetuated by hikers or bikers.   Can't we all
just get  along?  Perhaps this thread should be shut down.

-=Donna  Saufley=-