From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Jeff
Moorehead
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 5:26 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] bicycles

Kraig,
 It's not just a single, thin tread of tire creating the erosion. You
know as well as I do that there is an awful lot braking and sliding on
rapid descents. That causes major erosion! And then there is just the
attendant lack of concern for this effect when you know it is happening
but you want to preserve your rights. I went mountain biking in the
Lagunas one time and felt pretty bad knowing how much erosion that one
descent caused. Never again in a semi-pristine area. I don't care if it
is allowed, I won't do
it-- it scars the landscape. Land boarding, too. Don't get me started
with that...