[pct-l] Pack Design Help

Hi
I use a Suunto watch that has a compass, altitude &  temperature indicators.
They now have one with GPS. I hate having to be  slowed down by a hand held
GPS. Being one that don't know my left from my right  or east from west. The
guide books sometime will read go east at junction. So I  just hold my hand up
and check my compass. Also when I get on one of those  endless mountains and I
need to know exactly were I'm at (Peace of Mind)  especially if running out of
day light for my camp site or water. I can look at  guide book/topo and check
my elevation and pretty well know were I'm at.. I have  a GPS which stays in
my closet along with other my other junk.

Hope your home made backpack hold up on the trail

Lonetrail

On the PCT, you really won't need a compass, GPS, etc. very much, or at  all.
So, if you carry one, stash it out of the way - emergency use  only.

As for maps, most just use the guidebook sections - no extras. And  they can
be folded or rolled up.

The data book sections are also  somewhat useful - very small. But, often it
is difficult to figure out where  you are: 2nd road, big stream, old jeep
track, etc. are a little cryptic.  Yogi's sections also can be useful. You
could transcribe data from multiple  sources onto one book.

In easy to reach pocket: camera, maybe  snacks.

Pocket should be waterproof - or contents can be put in plastic  bags.

I normally just rolled up the guide book section, put it in a  plastic bag,
and stuck it next to my water bottle.

Consider small  pockets on a hip belt - like the ULA or Six Moon Designs
packs.

Marshall Karon
Portland,  OR
m.karon@comcast.net