[pct-l] Hands-Free Umbrella Holder

I love the umbrella idea, especially in theory.

Having carried one for many a trail mile, though, I also
accept its limitations. In theory, the umbrella augments or
replaces a rain jacket, along with its associated lack of
ventilation and feeling of vulnerability. Unlike a jacket,
the umbrella shields the whole hiker, not just the his base
layers, or so reads the theory. And sometimes it's true.
Often enough it protects the head, neck, and shoulders,
which sure beats the pounding and drip of rainwater onto and
into a jacket. Often enough it protects the torso, and what
rain does get in tends to evaporate from wicking garments at
a fairly equal rate, unlike the environment inside a w/b
jacket. Less often the umbrella protects the hiker's arms,
and rarely much below the waistline. But there are solutions
or acceptable compromises here, as well. In short, the
umbrella works well enough in most "hiking season" storms to
justify carrying the thing.

Still, in a heavy driving rain, especially with wind, the
brolly sees less use, and the rain jacket makes more sense.
So I typically carry both. Yet I still try to hang onto the
umbrella as long as possible in such weather, because of its
theoretical advantages. And here is where the idea of
"hanging on" becomes critical. The umbrella can still work
in fairly strong wind, and/or slanting rain, but only if the
user is physically holding it, able to point the thing into
the weather to keep both the umbrella and the user
protected.

Keeping the brolly maneuverable makes sense in other
conditions as well, maybe most. On a trail crowded with
brush or low branches, the hand-held umbrella bobs and
weaves around obstacles, whereas the hands-free umbrella
forces the user to bob or weave. And then there's the brolly
user's blue sky lament: even in the desert southwest, old
sol for 10 months of the year spends most of its work day
shining in from a shallow, brolly-defying angle. That is,
unless the brolly is itself angled toward the sun, as is
only possible on a winding trail while holding the thing in
hand. I learned the painful way not to discount the strength
of a sun whose rays angle in beneath the solar umbrella,
most memorably between 10 and 11 am in mid-April along the
CDT in southern New Mexico; the pain arrived next morning. I
should have angled the umbrella more (and worn long pants).

So the umbrella is something of a gemini friend - two sides,
and like it or not you get to have them both. You can rue
the labor of holding it, but stay drier and less sunburned
for doing so. Or you can use your hands as you normally
would - say, for holding two hiking poles - meanwhile with
the umbrella lashed in a fixed-position of some sort - on a
shoulder strap, overhead of the pack like a Wile E Coyote
contraption, or whatever - and accept that it won't do you
nearly as much good. Considering that the item is for
special circumstances only, and isn't really dual-use, I'd
prefer getting the most benefit from it whenever it's
needed.

Weather forcefields. Weightless and dual-use. Maybe someday.

- bf