From: Mike Saenz <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
Sent: Nov 24, 2004 11:47 AM
To: Jeff Moorehead <jeffmoorehead1@cox.net>, pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [BULK] - Re: [pct-l] lightwight water purification on the PCT

There was an excellent article on backwater bugs in the December `03
issue of backpacker mag.
Essentially, the dose of bugs that an average human would have to ingest
to get sick is way more than the amounts found in MOST tested waters.
The downside: if you did get infected, the results can get ugly...

I used to drink straight out of streams even in the San Gabriels when I
was a kid.
But now I filter, if for nothing else, for the peace of mind that I get
when I guzzle when I get to water sources.

If you can get your hands on the BP Mag article, I'd recommend reading
it. It even included electron microscope photos of the bugs that lurk in
the waters...

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that you'd get dosed with far more bugs
wiping out in a wave along the So Cal coast...

*glurg*

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m